Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Hail to Michigan!






A decree, if you will!  2018 will heretofore be noted in my college sports history as my debut year as a Michigan fan.  Part of the Big Blue Nation.  A Wolverine, baby!

People who know me and my football leanings will tell you that I change college teams about as often as Henry the Eighth changed wives.  And with just about as much ceremony.  (And, by the way, King Henry Ocho really had only three wives.  Three other marriages were annulled.  As were a few of my college football allegiances.)

For most of my life I was a Tennessee fan with the most satisfying memories being the Bill Battle, Johnny Majors,  and Phil Fulmer eras.  I even hung in during the short and sweet Kiffin and Dooley seasons, though I believed the handwriting appeared on the wall pretty darn early those particular years.  I took a shot at being an Alabama fan but decided that was WAY, WAY too much pressure.  A bad game, or jeepers, a LOSS even, and the season was pretty much over.  As well as the coach getting a moving van dispatched to his home with a one-way ticket to the Brazilian rainforest.  I took a shot at being a Razorback before discovering that, much like Bama fans, you have to be born into that dynasty...one-state-removed neighbors need not seriously apply.  So, weary of searching for a college football home, and since I already had a bunch of Volunteer gear, I returned to Tennessee during the early part of the Butch Jones era.  Though I was pretty sure that now the handwriting wasn't on the wall but thickly sprayed in deep orange on the massive walls of Neyland Stadium in font as looming as the hills of Knoxville.

This year, I wanted to venture out.  I wanted to spread my wings.  And since my wife had for so many  years suffered right along with my SEC football exploits, I decided to go north, back to her homeland, and adopt the Michigan Wolverines.  A chance meeting with a fan and alumnus at our favorite hangout in Huntsville introduced us to the "North Alabama University of Michigan Fans" group and, in August and in earnest, our journey began.

It's been a good year.  Even with an opening game loss to Notre Dame.  And I believe it important to post this blog before what is likely the biggest game of the season:  at Ohio State. The dreaded Buckeyes, where the ghost of Woody Hayes menacingly roams the sidelines, anxious to trip a breakaway running back or a fleet wide receiver.   If I waited until after the game, either giddiness or sorrow would most certainly influence my writing.    So it's best to post now or forever hold my peace.

Of course, I hope that Michigan and Ohio State fight like a pack of starving wolverines on a colony of heinous honey badgers.  (Allow me my poetic license, but I had to assign an animal to Ohio State.  I don't think "a pack of wolverines on a bushel basket of buckeyes" has nearly the visual effect.) This is always a historic game and I would hope that everyone, on both sides, would want to see both teams fight like there's no tomorrow (and, in the CFB playoff world, there isn't).  Of course, I want to see the U of M take the "W" and go on and dispose of Northwestern and then plow through two more teams for the National Championship.

(Okay.  Come on doubters.  Why would I not want that?  It might be my first year as a Michigan fan but what law says I have to work my way up to a National Championship?)

So, to the couple of hundred of folks who will eventually find their way to my obscure little blog:  I know that many of you have been my friends for years and are chuckling away at my newest "new team."  Hey?  Have I ever led you, in the many years past, to expect any fan loyalty from me?  Have many of you not called me, on more than one occasion, a "fair-weather fan?"  Some of you have known me for only a few years and have noted often that I may have the most diverse college football fan wardrobe you have  encountered.  And then there are those of you who have known me only a short period of time but believe it's perfectly okay for a grown man to change college football allegiances as often as underwear.

I will say this.  Win or lose from this point forward, it has been a great experience being a Michigan fan this year.  And I intend to keep my maize and blue gear in a very accessible place in my closet.  I find my fellow Michigan fans to be loyal without being insane, to be vocal and verbal without being vile or vulgar, to be optimistic with a healthy dose of realism, and to welcome newcomers and outsiders with just the slightest of scrutiny, wariness, and doubt.   (Come on, I've seen a few looks askance from time to time.)

As we enter the crunch time of this great college football season, I wish the best for all of you, whomever your teams may be.  May your teams play tough, stay safe and strong, and, if they must lose, may it be in the 15th period of overtime.  To my Crimson Tide friends, yes, I do understand that Nick Saban is still "no Bear Bryant," but I have to say I sure would like to see a 'Bama/UofM game on the schedule in a few weeks.  To my good, ole Rocky Top friends, I know it's definitely been rocky and you're nowhere near the top, but, yes, I do acknowledge that "there's always next year."  And, yes, "it does take time to rebuild."  P.S.  If any of you would like some slightly used, extra-large, UT gear, hit me up.

So, that being said, Happy Thanksgiving to all and "Hail to the conqu'ring heroes!  Hail, hail to Michigan!"

"GO BLUE!"


2 comments: